Short Walk to Freedom was the 33rd episode of Airwolf, the 22nd episode of Season 2. It first aired on 4/13/1985.
This is one of the few episodes where the full Airwolf team appear. String, Dominic, Caitlin, Archangel and Marella all play significant roles in the plot.
Caitlin accompanies four students on a trip to explore Maya temples with archaeologist Ozzie Hathaway. But their guide Comargo betrays them and delivers them into the hands of bandits led by Colonel Alzar. Archangel suspects things are slightly more complicated. Alzar is probably acting so boldly because he has the backing of a "big brother" somewhere. Archangel instructs String and Dominic to launch a rescue mission with Airwolf, not that they need any encouragement
(spoiler alert - click on expand to read)
- Lake Toneopah
- Beechcraft B200 Super King Air - N84B, the same aircraft as used in The Hunted (episode).
- F-84F Thunderstreak - mimicking Cuban MiGs. F-84Fs are also used to depict MiGs in other episodes. The footage all comes from the 1958 Korean War movie The Hunters.
- Ruger AC556 - various bandit guards and Jonathan
- M16 - various bandit guards
- Valmet M71S - various bandit guards. Hawke takes one off a guard.
- AK-47 - various bandit guards.
- Browning M2 - mounted on a jeep and a half track
- RPG-7 rocket launcher
- M1 Bazooka rocket launcher
- M1911A1 - Dominic, Colonel Alzar and Chema Comargo use this as a personal sidearm
- The closing credits show a scene where Caitlin, Hathaway and the four students arrive at Santini Air in a bus and Caitlin introduces them to String and Dominic. This scene would have provided the back story, how the students got to go on the trip and why Caitlin accompanied them. The scene was probably cut during editing.
- In The Hunted (episode), Hawke tells Caitlin that she's the one with the multi-engine rating, and he said it in such a way as to imply that he and Dominic don't have it. Yet in this episode we see him taking over the King Air and flying it back--and this would have needed a multi-engine rating. Still it wouldn't take long for an experienced pilot like Hawke to qualify for such a rating.
Guest stars/Recurring cast
- Deborah Pratt as Marella
- John Aniston as Colonel Arturo Alzar
- Jorge Cervera, Jr. as Chema Comargo
- Jill Whitlow as Kay Freestone
- Brian Farrell as Ozzie Hathaway
- Edward Mehler as Jonathan Hughes
- Robert Chestnut as Cookie Danza
- Phillip Paley as Ernie Wolfe
- Ismael Carlo as Sergeant
- Ricardo Lopez as Miguel